The deepest, chocolaty-est, chocolate tart. Oh. My. Heavens. This is death by chocolate.
Normally there's always something about a recipe that I'm not so fond of. . . but at the moment I really can't think of anything that wasn't absolutely perfect about this recipe. I ran into this deathly chocolaty good-ness on Gourmet - my new favorite website for recipes. Check it out - signing up is free.
That being said, I did change a couple things - just to accommodate my pantry and ingredients available at my grocery store:
1) I used honey grahams instead of chocolate grahams because I could not find them, I think the substitution turned out fabulously.
2) I used golden syrup instead of corn syrup- Not only did I not want to buy a whole thing of corn syrup just for this, I happened to have golden syrup on hand which is definitely the British way to go. Clearly I have a slight obsession with that brilliant country. . .
3) I used evaporated milk instead of whipping cream- purely out of convenience. If the cream does not have to be whipped in a recipe, then evaporated milk is an easy and equally delicious substitute.
Dark Chocolate Tart
For the Crust:
9 graham crackers, chocolate (not chocolate dipped) or honey
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
For the Filling:
8 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (not more than 65%) I used 56%, chopped
1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (evaporated milk works great too)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Chocolate Glaze:
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (evaporated milk works great too)
1 3/4 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (I used the same as in filling)
1 teaspoon corn syrup (or golden syrup for those British-ly awesome readers)
1 tablespoon water
1) Make the Crust: In a food processor, finely grind up crackers, add sugar. Add butter and pulse until well combined. Press into a 9 inch tart pan (the original recipe says to go 3/4 the way up the side, but I went right up the entire side, and everything was fine). Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Then let cool for 15-20 minutes.
2) Make the Filling: Either in the microwave or in a saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over the 8 oz chopped chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes, then gently whisk to combine. Then, whisk together eggs, vanilla, and salt. Add to chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Pour into cooled crust and bake at 350 for 18-25 minutes - until filling is set about 3 inches from edge but center is still wobbly. Let cool for 1 hour.
3) Make the Glaze: Either in the microwave or in a small saucepan, bring the 2 tablespoons cream to a boil, remove from heat. Pour over 1 3/4 oz chocolate. Whisk to combine. Then, whisk in corn syrup and water. Pour onto tart, tilting around to spread the glaze evenly. Let set 1 hour. Serve.