Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dark Chocolate Tart



The deepest, chocolaty-est, chocolate tart. Oh. My. Heavens. This is death by chocolate.

Your welcome.




Normally there's always something about a recipe that I'm not so fond of. . . but at the moment I really can't think of anything that wasn't absolutely perfect about this recipe. I ran into this deathly chocolaty good-ness on Gourmet - my new favorite website for recipes. Check it out - signing up is free.

That being said, I did change a couple things - just to accommodate my pantry and ingredients available at my grocery store:

1) I used honey grahams instead of chocolate grahams because I could not find them, I think the substitution turned out fabulously. 

2) I used golden syrup instead of corn syrup- Not only did I not want to buy a whole thing of corn syrup just for this, I happened to have golden syrup on hand which is definitely the British way to go. Clearly I have a slight obsession with that brilliant country. . .

3) I used evaporated milk instead of whipping cream- purely out of convenience. If the cream does not have to be whipped in a recipe, then evaporated milk is an easy and equally delicious substitute.




Dark Chocolate Tart
via Gourmet
oven: 350

For the Crust:
9 graham crackers, chocolate (not chocolate dipped) or honey
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
For the Filling:
8 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (not more than 65%) I used 56%, chopped
1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (evaporated milk works great too)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Chocolate Glaze:
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (evaporated milk works great too)
1 3/4 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (I used the same as in filling)
1 teaspoon corn syrup (or golden syrup for those British-ly awesome readers)
1 tablespoon water

1) Make the Crust: In a food processor, finely grind up crackers, add sugar. Add butter and pulse until well combined. Press into a 9 inch tart pan (the original recipe says to go 3/4 the way up the side, but I went right up the entire side, and everything was fine). Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Then let cool for 15-20 minutes.

2) Make the Filling: Either in the microwave or in a saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over the 8 oz chopped chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes, then gently whisk to combine. Then, whisk together eggs, vanilla, and salt. Add to chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Pour into cooled crust and bake at 350 for 18-25 minutes - until filling is set about 3 inches from edge but center is still wobbly. Let cool for 1 hour.

3) Make the Glaze: Either in the microwave or in a small saucepan, bring the 2 tablespoons cream to a boil, remove from heat. Pour over 1 3/4 oz chocolate. Whisk to combine. Then, whisk in corn syrup and water. Pour onto tart, tilting around to spread the glaze evenly. Let set 1 hour. Serve.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm not even a fan of chocolate and I think this is soooo gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAAAAH! I love that second photo. It looks like a chocolate eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo shiny...how is that even possible?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The glaze makes it look like it is pastry from one of the chi chi pastry shops! I happen to have some baked shells to fill for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my!!! I gotta have this. Can you share the photo setup?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive never seen such glossy chocolate! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so sinfully yum!!! Can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a delicious recipe! Gonna prepare it! Hwy, your blog is so nice! Take a peek at mine, too: www.saladaderucula.blogspot.com
    See ya!
    Regis

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made two of these today. This is such and easy recipe and I love easy! I made these to take to church tomorrow, but since I did not know how the pie was going to taste, I had to take a piece to try. It is delicious. It has a rich deep chocolate taste that is not too sweet. This will be one I will make again and again. If you have not made this yet I suggest you give it a try. It is one of those recipes that taste like you worked hard at making it, but it couldn't be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness this looks absolutely amazing!!! I love that you can slim it down by using evaporated milk too!!!

    ReplyDelete

  11. oh I like that chocolate cake
    i love eating that's why im too fat now :)
    but most of the time what i eat are chocolates
    in fact i buy macaroons online
    because that's my favorite which is chocolate macaroons.
    well anyway that chocolate cake above are interesting i wanna try that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a picture..I am amazed and stunned! I like it really much!

    ReplyDelete