Easy, not-too-sweet, lemon poppy seed breakfast bread. Great for weekend breakfasts and guests!
Lemon Poppy Seed Breakfast Bread
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 dash milk
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
zest of 1 large lemon*
3 scant cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
juice from half a large lemon
*I'll probably add just a touch more zest than that next I make this.
1) Combine water, yeast, and sugar- let sit about 5 minutes until foamy. Add beaten egg the water/yeast mixture along with enough milk to equal 1 cup of liquid.
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer add the flour, salt, and poppy seeds. Stir together.
3) Add the yeast/egg mixture, the vegetable oil, and the lemon zest to the flour mixture and mix together with the dough hook until a dough forms. Continue mixing on medium speed (about speed 4-6) for about 10 minutes. Cover bowl with greased plastic wrap and let rise for about 1 1/2 hours until double in size.
4) Grease a 9-inch tart pan well. Form little dough balls and place in the tart pan in a circular pattern. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise for another hour.
5) Preheat oven to 350F. Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
6) Make the Glaze: Stir together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until the glaze is smooth. Drizzle over slightly-warm bread and serve.