Thursday, January 17, 2013

Peanut Butter + Chocolate Muffins

































Confession: I feel very conflicted about muffins.

I feel very strongly that muffins are to be more wholesome than its doppelganger, the cupcake. They should contain much less fat and sugar, because they are a bread not a cake. 

That being said...I LOVE those super sweet, moist "muffins" that they sell in delis and airports.

And i know those aren't muffins. They're naked (frosting-less) cupcakes masquerading as my bread-y friend. But I still love them. 







































At home when I make muffins, I'm in this constant debate with myself over recipes with less fat (that will no doubt be drier, but more muffin-like) and those recipes with more fat & sugar (that will be moister and more delicious, but essentially are cake).

I want people to enjoy the muffins and feel happy when they eat them, but I don't want to sacrifice my muffin integrity.

Like I said, I'm conflicted.

(Muffin problems. Life can be so rough sometimes).

BUT. I feel no hesitation with this recipe. It's still tasty, but I don't feel like I've compromised my baking morals (...maybe a little when I drizzled extra chocolate on top). It's moist, but still a quick bread. Sweet, but not a cake. I'm satisfied.

I think you will be too.


Peanut Butter Chocolate Muffins
via Kaitlin in the Kitchen
Makes about 16 muffins
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled (let it sit for like 5 minutes after you melt it)
1/2 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter (I used smooth)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup brown sugar (would be great if increased by 1/4 cup....but also more cupcake-like)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup extra chocolate chips, melted (for drizzling, if desired)

1) Preheat oven to 375F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.

2) In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.

3) In a smaller bowl, stir together the melted butter and peanut butter. Whisk in the eggs. Gradually add the milk.

4) Pour the peanut butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix just until all ingredients are moistened (there should be no little clumps of flour visible). Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon batter (it will be a little thick) into cupcake liners, filling about 3/4 full. Bake for 17-20 minutes until tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (careful not to hit a chocolate chip). Drizzle cupcakes with the 1/4 cup of melted chocolate chips, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment