1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup whipping cream, chilled
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 banana, thinly sliced
1) Make the pastry cream. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and granulated sugar until pale and ribbony, about 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the flour and salt. Warm the milk in the microwave for 1 minute. Gradually whisk milk into the egg mixture until smooth. Pour mixture into a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
2) Remove from heat and pour through a sieve into a medium bowl. Stir in cream cheese and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto the surface of the pastry cream (to prevent a skin from forming on the surface), and refrigerate 1-2 hours until chilled.
3) Make the choux pastry: In a medium pan over medium heat, add the butter and water. Let cook until butter melts and the mixture just begins to boil. Add flour all at once and mix with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a ball in the pan. Continue cooking for about 60 seconds, working the dough around in the pan with a spatula.
4) Remove from heat and, using an electric mixer, add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
5) Make the profiterole rings: preheat your oven to 450F. Place racks in upper and lower thirds. Grease two baking sheets, or line with a silpat baking mat. Fit a piping bag with a Wilton 4B tip, and fill with cream puff dough. Pipe rings on the baking sheet that are about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, about 1 inch apart, pipe a second ring on top of the first, so you have double layer rings.
6) Place sheets in oven, bake for 15 minutes at 450F, until rings are puffed and golden. Turn oven heat down to 300F. Rotate pans, and continue to bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool for at least 20 minutes before filling.
6) Make the whipped cream: In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the whipping cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla until mixture reaches the consistency of shaving cream.
7) Assemble: Slice the top off of each ring, fill with banana slices, pastry cream, and whipped cream. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Best served same day.